Sunday, February 16, 2014

Carlsbad Caverns

Easily the highlight of my trip so far, the Carlsbad Caverns are unlike anything I've ever seen. After leaving Roswell, I only had about an hour to drive to the national park in order to make the 2PM final entrance. Unfortunately, it was a 90 minute drive away from town. So, you betcha that I sped like I never have before. (I was probably doing 100 on 55 roadways... yikes!)

Once we get to the caverns, I find out that the last natural entrance ends at 2, but that you can enter the cave until 3:30. That meant that we could take the elevator down and walk backwards until we caught up with the group that entered at 2.

While it's a little upsetting that we missed the "Bat Cave," a real part of the caverns, I had no complaints with what I did see. In fact, this is another one of those moments where photographs simply won't do justice--especially not a tiny cameraphone like mine. It's all the more reason that I promise to come back to the caverns. I'd love to not only see it again, but do it right--with a guided tour that goes off the beaten path.

Carlsbad Caverns National Parkhttp://www.nps.gov/cave/index.htm




















1 comment:

  1. Carlsbad Caverns is amazing, isn't it? I went there 30 years ago when I was only six years old, but I'll never forget it. You're making me want to go back!

    ReplyDelete